First Mission in the Territory
Hermannsburg Mission was established 0ver 125 years ago. In 1876 missionaries Frederick Kemp and Wilhelm Schwarz, newly arrived in South Australia from Germany, left Bethany in the Barossa Valley on the long journey to Central Australia. They were bringing sheep and cattle, but bad drought conditions made life difficult. They reached rhw Finke River, the site of the mission 20 months later.
Today Herrmannsburg is an important part of Northern Territory's heritage and tourism experiences. The historic buildings are open to visitors.