Minnipa, a small rural community, was settled around 1913 when it became a productive farming area and an important railway terminal. Granite outcrops around Minnipa with their waves, caves and gnamma holes are one of the best kept secrets.
In the centre of town, a new rest area with shady parking provides a picnic area, playground and tourist information bay. Toilets are nearby.
Town facilities include:
Caravan Park, Mechanical Repairs, Post Office, Butcher, and Bank Agencies. Sporting facilities include swimming pool, tennis/netball under lights and bowling green.
Granite outcrops are nearby. Early settlers built elaborate gutters and dams around them to catch the precious water.
Pildappa Rock, a large granite outcrop 15km north of town, has a spectacular wave-like formation, rivalling that of Wave Rock in WA. There are picnic facilities with free BBQ as well as toilet facilities. Camping is also permitted
Tcha-kuldu Rock, another large granite outcrop 6km east of Minnipa with large spectacular tafoni and boulders scattered over the main rock. There are picnic, free BBQ and toilet facilities and a historic shepherd’s hut.
Minnipa provides an ideal entry to the Gawler Ranges National Park via McKenzie Road. Scenic views can be enjoyed all year round on a drive through the Ranges, accessible by conventional vehicles most of the time.